Monday, January 24, 2011

Adjustment Layer/Smart Filter

sunset: 1/22/11; 5:17pm; upper fields, Rexburg; f 6.3; 1/640; t1i canon

Origional
Edited:
This image was perfect for learning how to use an adjustment layer. I first went to the fill/adjustment layer button (which looks like a yin yang) and choose levels. I then, under layers, choose the multiply blending mode which darkened my image and really made my sunset pop. I clicked on my mask in my adjustment layer and then choose the paintbrush tool. Then after putting the black paint in the foreground I went over the snow with 100 percent opacity. I thought the picture looked great before but the results of this edit has now made that trudge through the waist deep snow worth it.

snow trail: 1/22/11; 4:12pm; outskirts of Rexburg; f 20; 1/80; t1i canon

Original
Edited:

This is my first time ever using a smart filter. Before I did anything, I adjusted the levels of my photo which was overexposed. The snow and the fog were an interesting challenge. With that fixed, I then converted my image into a smart object by going to layer--smart object--convert to smart object and boom! Now you can add multiple filters without ruining the origional image while maintaining complete editing flexibility. Exploring filters is rather addicting and time consuming, so for times sake I only added two filters, watercolor and ocean ripple. I then clicked on my smart object layer which would enable me to mask out part of the effects of my filters. Using 100 percent opacity I went over the snow trail. I felt like it popped out a little two much so then with about a 14 percent opacity I went over the edges and top of the trail so it would look like it gradually meshed into the effects of my photo.

2 comments:

  1. These are great land scape pictures and i love the sunset in the first one. However, if you really want to sell your skills you need to change it up a bit. For instance, on the picture with the snow you might get down on the ground so you still get the awesome sky effect you captured but you get an angle most people dont get to see regularly. On the picture with the fence, i really like the shot but if you would have gotten right up to the fence and made it look through the fence so its still in the shot but not so far away it would have given it an interesting view point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoy the warm colors of the sunset picture. You did well in following the rule of thirds with the fence, landscape, and sky, as well as putting the sun right on an intersection. Good composition :)

    ReplyDelete